The 6MAN working group met for a 2 hour session on Monday afternoon at IETF93. The session was well attended.
The agenda was organized to give priority to working group drafts, individual drafts with active discussion, and new individual drafts. With the new individual drafts being given 5 minutes and 3 slides each. There was no time for presentation of new drafts at this meeting.
A set of the IPv6 documents are currently at the now deprecated Draft Standards level. A significant amount of time was spent discussing approaches to bringing these documents to Internet Standard. While it was understood that the approach would depend on each document, the suggestions that gained approval in the room was:
The chairs will continue this effort with working group contributors. Especially the cluster approach will require close coordination with the AD/IESG and the RFC Editor.
In addition we discussed the issue of source address dependent next-hop selection, hob-by-hob extension header clarifications and consequences of random MACs for IPv6 address mechanisms.
Republishing the IPV6-MIBs as obsolete (draft-fenner-ipv6-mibs-obsolete) was adopted (pending confirmation on the mailing list). IPv6 Segment Routing Header (SRH) (draft-previdi-6man-segment-routing-header) will be called for adoption as soon as it was merged with the accompanying security document.
The proceedings from 6MAN are available at: https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/93/materials.html#wg-6man
6TiSCH met on Tuesday afternoon for 2 hours with a packed agenda and a pretty full room, Brian and Ralph attending. Highlight:
DHC working group met in Prague on Thursday. We had 2 hours slot and we used all of it (went 4 minutes over). 40 people signed the blue sheets, but one of the chairs counted 58 attendees.
A number of individual drafts were presented.
DMM met on Monday and had a full packed agenda. More agenda time was give to our four Working Team work and we got a short update on each and their next steps. Working Team 'enhanced anchoring' was encouraged to sharpen the actual and concrete protocol solution they envision.
At the end of Areo address format presentation the question for WG adoption was raised. Numbers (read: 3, for: 2, against: 0). Before WG can proceed with adoption more people are required to read the document.
At the end of PMIPv6 HNP renumbering presentation the question for WG adoption was raised. Numbers (read: 5, for: 2, against: 0). Again, before adoption some more reviews are needed and wider support. Otherwise the progress for adoption seems good.
The last presentation was about multihoming support for residential gateway with PMIPv6, which is basically a MCoA solution for PMIP. Concerns were raised by the MIF WG chair that MIF WG is working on the same topic and suggested waiting while the discussion in MIF has progressed. The DMM chair pointed out that there is no overlap with MIF MPVD work and what this draft is proposing. It was suggested to make this draft PMIP only MCoA solution without any references to other SDO work and then reroute the draft through DMM again (does not need to wait till next meeting).
Documents discussed and resolution:
On Interoperation of Labels Between mDNS and DNS
The WG discussed WG last call comments and considered comments in the room as WG last call comments. Author will make minor revisions and the WG will review the revisions before requesting IESG to publish the document.
DNS Long-Lived Queries
The WG reviewed the technology proposed in the document. There are actually two separate proposals: long-lived queries over TCP and push notifications. A proposal to split the document into two pieces was put forward, with the work on long-lived queries perhaps taken up in the dnsop WG. The participants in the room were polled regarding whether the dnssd WG should take up some or all of this work, with unanimous consensus in favor.
Multicast DNS (mDNS) Threat Model and Security Consideration
The WG reviewed the latest revision of the document and provided author additional feedback on the scope of the threats covered in the model. The WG participants at the meeting were polled about whether the work should be done in the dnssd WG (unanimous in favor) and whether the document is ready for WG adoption (unanimous to wait until next revision).
Review of implementations of Hybrid Proxy for homenet and enterprise
The WG held a brief discussion of existing implementations of the hybrid proxy draft and the hybrid proxy autoconf draft in homenet. The autoconf draft is ready to be sent to the IESG (waiting on publication of the hybrid proxy draft), and the dnssd WG was encouraged publish the hybrdi proxy draft as quickly as possible.
Chairs: Samita Chakrabarti, Gabriel Montenegro
Secretary: James Woodyatt
Technical Advisor: Ralph Droms
Responsible AD: Brian Haberman
There were two full 6lo sessions on IETF 93 at Prague. The first session was on Monday late afternoon and it was attended by 80+ people and the second session took place on Thursday afternoon. In the first session the group discussed the ITU-T liaison response for IANA registry of 6lowpan (RFC 4944 and RFC 6282) ESC dispatch bytes of which 1-31 values in the first 8 bits following the ESC byte has been used and deployed by ITU-T G.9903 and G.9905 specifications for G3-PLC networks (without informing IANA). ITU-T Liaison co-ordinator, Scott Mansfield and IAB Liaison Manager And 6lo Technical adviser, Ralph Droms took the lead to work with 6lo and roll WG chairs in making the decision on the proposal that IETF would collaborate with ITU-T on this regard and will help register the ITU-T specified bits at IANA. The WG and chairs discussed draft-chairs-6lo-dispatch-iana-registry-00 draft in this context; the draft defines the ESC byte usage and possible allocation of values following the ESC byte.
Hum was taken at the meeting about the following two decisions by the 6lo WG :
Miguel Reina Ortega(ETSI) announced plans for 6lo Interop activity at IETF94 in Yokohama; the event will focus on interoperability. The experts call for designing test specifications and testing requirements are completed. Carsten Bormann and Kerry Lynn were named as the two technical experts for the interop at IETF94. The interop will require at least 2 implementations of the same draft for useful test operations. The ETSI plug-fest presentation slides have the details information on the planning. The second session had 9 presentations; draft-thubert-6lo-routing-dispatch-05 discussed a new dispatch type 6loRH for RPL compression scheme and they have chosen option #2 as a viable option as reclaiming MH or Fragment dispatch header space was not an option anymore. 6lo WG and chairs are interested in defining one or more ESC style sequence numbers for TLV structures for extending the meaning of dispatch bytes such as context switching. Besides, draft-ietf-6lo-nfc-01 and draft-ietf-6lo-dect-ule-02 were presented. The NFC draft needs to hear back from NFC forum chairs and the authors of dect-ule believes that the document is ready for last call. 6lo Responsible AD, Brian Haberman announced that draft-ietf-6lo-btle is in its last stage of IESG evaluation phase and will soon become an RFC. Kerry Lynn could not present draft-ietf-6lo-6lobac draft but he has sent out the detailed status in the mailing list. Ines presented an interesting work on ipv6-over-IEEE802.11.ah -- a draft (draft-delcarpio-6lo-wlanah) which defines preliminary requirements of using 6lowpan stack over small-cell Wifi environment as the lowpan compression seems to be very useful for the 802.11ah network and the IEEE liaison Dorothy expressed interest in supporting this document as well thinking about supporting 6lowpan-over-Wifi(802.11). Dave Thaler presented his slides on privacy awareness for 6lo documents -- the guidelines include what to look for when considering the privacy aspects of IPv6-addressing on the devices on case-by-case basis. Dave will write a new draft containing the guidance on privacy by IETF94.
ZigBee Neighborhood Area Network (NAN) is requesting 6lo WG chairs and AD to help with several drafts (draft-ohba-mle-hip-dex and draft-turner-dhcp-6co, draft-kisley-mle) for being RFCs with informational or experimental status by March. They require faster response from the WG and reviews. The deployment scenario for ZigBee NAN is going scale up to 5K nodes using RPL as their routing prototocol and 6lowpan as the base networking stack. Shahid Raza presented his --a few years old draft, draft-reza-6lo-ipsec-01 describing the IPSec AH and ESP compression techniques using the dispatch bytes. The draft has been implemented in Contiki OS. The draft authors' idea was well received and they were encouraged to look further details with ROHC, ECC/CCM, DIET-ESP etc.
Homenet met in Prague at IETF 93 on Wednesday afternoon, 1300-1530. The WG time was roughly split half on progressing non-Routing-Protocol related items, and half on Routing Protocol Selection. Several WG drafts have progressed quite a bit since IETF 92, one reaching the IESG, and others either in WG or IETF LC. We expect several to reach the IESG between now and IETF94. There are now two independent implementations of DNCP and HNCP.
The second half of the meeting was led by Russ White, chair of the Routing Protocol Selection Design Team. Slides were presented, and are available in the proceedings (It was noted by several WG participants that the DT seemed to operate in privacy, and that they had wished for an advance readout in draft form). There was a lot of impassioned discussion. Of note, was the clear consensus that the current, non-routing-protocol work, should continue on track and advance in Homenet. Beyond this, ISIS and Babel as Routing Protocol options were discussed at length, as well as the DT's review of the overall Homenet Archietcture. There are clearly separate ISIS and Babel camps, well-entrenched, though each concur that the other's protocol could be made to work. ISIS has experience in many areas, other than home routers, but likely could be adapted. Babel was design for home routers and wireless links, but has little experience beyond that, or as an IETF-maintained protocol. Several members suggested "disowning" the routing protocol choice entirely, citing the IETF failing to be able to make a decision by non-arbitrary means. Others suggested that even an arbitrary selection would be preferred, either coin-flip or AD-selection. The DT was asked to complete their assessment, and produce a brief I-D outlining routing requirements to be put forward as a WG consensus document.
The intarea working group met in Prague for a short one hour session. Among the current working group documents, the draft describing a fragmentation strategy for GRE has been published as RFC7588. The draft that describes IPv6 support for GRE has completed AD evaluation and is on the IESG telechat for August 6th. There was a presentation regarding the current use of hostnames and how they leak personally identifiable information. There were a few recommendations and they have been documented in a draft. It will be called for wg adoption on the mailing list after the meeting. There was a presentation about tunnel MTU considerations from the AERO draft that could be useful context for discussion for the working group draft on tunnels. There was also a presentation of a concept called dynamic GRE where the GRE tunnels are auto-configured and dynamically managed. We need to check on the mailing list to see if there is interest to adopt this work. There was an informational presentation about the implementation of MAC randomization features in Windows 10 that was very interesting. There was a presentation on a new draft that describes IP over links that are intentionally partitioned so that all nodes are not able to communicate with each other. We will check for wg interest on the mailing list and issue a call for adoption if there is interest.
The softwire working group met in a short one hour session. There were a few new items looking for adoption in the working group but we have decided to put off consideration of these items pending a recharter of the working group. We presented a changed charter with new milestones and deliverables. We will circulate this on the mailing list to get comments from the WG. Among the current working group documents, the 4rd softwire solution has been published as an Experimental RFC (RFC7600). The Standards track stateless IPv4 over IPv6 solutions (Lightweight 4over6, MAP-E and MAP-T) are in the final stages of publication and will be published in the next few days. The multicast and MIB documents will be progressed to the IESG the week after the IETF.
The contents of this page were last updated on 2015-08-03. It was migrated from the old Trac wiki on 2022-12-14.