- Significant technical concern with the viability of the work
- Significant procedural concern with the ability to complete the
work effectively due to low energy levels, contentiousness,
overly large scope of the work, etc.
- Lack of technical clarity on what the work and deliverables will
actually consist of
- Lack of scope for what is clearly in-bounds versus things that
should be explicitly forbidden
- Overlap or interference with other work inside or outside the
IETF, which would lead to clear harm or significant operational
- Quality of writing and editing poor enough to prevent effective
external review of the proposed work
- It's a really really bad idea (e.g. key escrow)
- Inappropriate phasing of the work that may lead to inadequate
focus or end-runs of consensus process.
- Out of scope for the IETF.